I'm on vacation this week, and was able to leave a few days early, thanks to Hubby's successful juggling of the schedule, so here are some random tidbits from the week...
1. Our caseworker was genuinely shocked that we wanted to take the babies with us on vacation. Apparently, a great majority of foster families do not take their foster children on vacation with them when they go. If you've read me for any length of time, you know what I think of THOSE people.
2. We drove from 3 PM Wednesday to 6 PM Thursday. We made it. No one died. Except the potato chips in the back seat. From the crumbs left, I'm pretty sure it was a horrible death (that's where the teenagers were.)
3. We're staying at my mom and step-dad's, near one of the Great Lakes.
4. That particular Great Lake is AMAZING to swim in. Cold, but amazing.
5. When you have a child (Danae) who will bait her own fishing hook, but will not take the fish off, what do you do? And if you're the mom who refuses to do either, do you really have any moral ground to stand on?
6. What do you call it when a fish whaps Leigh across the face as she's trying to remove it from the hook? You got fish slapped!!
7. Where we are, there just aren't many people other than the pale variety... a point that is driven home any time we go out in public. My step-dad is oblivious to the stares, we're all used to them, but my mom was pretty shocked. She thought that poeple would look and then get on with life. Eating out with us is an excercise in ignoring people gaping at our paleness and the dark cuteness that is our children.
8. Thank GodAllahBuddha for minivans, diet coke and laptop computers.
9. Did you know a Bobble Head isn't just a cute, annoying little doll whose head moves back and forth? It's now an insult of a type of person known for head bobbing behavior... well hell. It's what you call people who give blow jobs. Frequently.
10. Lesbian joke of the day: My hubby and Danae were walking, and saw a boat for sale. The boat's name is, I kid you not, the Hootchie Bobber. Hubby told Danae she should buy it someday. She agreed, but that she'd have to change the name. He said, "To what? The Cootchie Bobber?" Oh yeah. Gotta love my completely blunt kind of family.
11. I'm supposed to meet up with an old HS buddy later this week. I'm a little nervous--lots of reasons I guess, but the bottom line is that I'm not sure I want her kids to meet my teenagers. It's that whole appropriateness thing--since I can't ever predict if they'll behave, I'm not sure I want them to go. At the same time, I want hubby to go, which means we take the babies, which doesn't bother me a bit. They behave like they're supposed to. The teens, not so much.
On my agenda this week... more fishing. More swimming. More hanging with Mom. More attempting to convince MoMo that swimming is not evil. More attempting to convince Danae that just because there are no black people here doesn't mean everyone around her doesn't like black people. More attempting to convince Leigh to pull her $%^&* pants up because we DO NOT want to see her crack while she fishes.
On the other hand, Hubby and I are on the same shift all week which is oh-so-wonderful. I miss having him around. I hate second shift.
ba-deep ba-deep ba-deep . . .
7 years ago